TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 13 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: New Traditions

1. Default OT: New Traditions

This past season, we saw the seamless implementation of a touch down cannon sponsored by the Georgia National Guard that - for the most part - fans really enjoyed.

I’m not sure if they are coming back this season as a permanent fixture in Paulson, but it got me thinking about new things we can do to add to the gameday atmosphere and make it a unique experience. If y’all could pitch an idea or change something about a current tradition, what would it be? Is there an old tradition that you’d like to see come back?

For me, I’d really like to hear the band play Statesboro Blues at every game, maybe even as part of the pregame show. It’s jazzy and something completely unique to Georgia Southern. Since we’re trying to connect with Savannah more, another idea I had was to blare a fog horn on defensive 3rd downs like the ships that go past River Street. I know a lot of other schools play a sound on 3rd downs like a bell or a train whistle or a growl, but a fog horn would be something unique to GS and our region. The Savannah Port Authority or someone could sponsor it.

Default Re: OT: New Traditions

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    This past season, we saw the seamless implementation of a touch down cannon sponsored by the Georgia National Guard that - for the most part - fans really enjoyed.

I’m not sure if they are coming back this season as a permanent fixture in Paulson, but it got me thinking about new things we can do to add to the gameday atmosphere and make it a unique experience. If y’all could pitch an idea or change something about a current tradition, what would it be? Is there an old tradition that you’d like to see come back?

For me, I’d really like to hear the band play Statesboro Blues at every game, maybe even as part of the pregame show. It’s jazzy and something completely unique to Georgia Southern. Since we’re trying to connect with Savannah more, another idea I had was to blare a fog horn on defensive 3rd downs like the ships that go past River Street. I know a lot of other schools play a sound on 3rd downs like a bell or a train whistle or a growl, but a fog horn would be something unique to GS and our region. The Savannah Port Authority or someone could sponsor it.
    I hate 3rd down artificial noises of EVERY kind. I LOVE the crowd getting really loud on 3rd down and hearing the band swell. Seems like the elbow drop on the chairs after a win is catching on with the players, but I don't care too much about it. "Don't stop believing" has been OK but we need to switch it up with Sweet Caroline and others. Maybe the foghorn at the beginning of the game when the team comes out, IDK. For the Savannah crowd, we can always have GUS ride in on a cargo container.

IMO, I think the fog horn is too reminiscent of the train horn that Gag St does. Too close to do after they have it and not sound like a copycat.

I like the Statesboro Blues idea. I've always wondered why we don't already do it. I would do it in place of "Don't Stop Believing" so that it is something of our own.
    I LOVE the cannon!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

I've always wanted to create some kind of G-A-T-A chant for big defensive downs. SP does one but it's kinda lame.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

I'm really liking the combo of All I Do is Win and Knuck If You Buck in pregame/leading up to kickoff. Players get hyped too.

#BringBackDrWho

Mo Bamba was popular last year on 3rd downs but it's likely to be a fad that won't stick.

I'd like to get something going on all downs that is consistent every down, every game, every year. I'd rather it be band led and get the crowd involved.

6. Default Re: OT: New Traditions

Traditions just happen, you can't make them. The cannon was a one-off thing until we won a big game in dramatic fashion and people wanted it back. That's how stuff starts.

On the other hand, I'm morbidly curious to see what happens if Old Town Road is still a huge thing when football season rolls around.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    I'm really liking the combo of All I Do is Win and Knuck If You Buck in pregame/leading up to kickoff. Players get hyped too.

#BringBackDrWho

Mo Bamba was popular last year on 3rd downs but it's likely to be a fad that won't stick.

I'd like to get something going on all downs that is consistent every down, every game, every year. I'd rather it be band led and get the crowd involved.
    Jeez I haven't thought about Mo Bamba since football season ended and just reading those words made it immediately get stuck in my head dangit!

8. Default Re: OT: New Traditions

Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    Traditions just happen, you can't make them. The cannon was a one-off thing until we won a big game in dramatic fashion and people wanted it back. That's how stuff starts.

On the other hand, I'm morbidly curious to see what happens if Old Town Road is still a huge thing when football season rolls around.
    Funny that you say that... I had been hoping you would have added that song to a good highlight video.

9. Default Re: OT: New Traditions

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    IMO, I think the fog horn is too reminiscent of the train horn that Gag St does. Too close to do after they have it and not sound like a copycat.

I like the Statesboro Blues idea. I've always wondered why we don't already do it. I would do it in place of "Don't Stop Believing" so that it is something of our own.
    I LOVE the cannon!
    Took my wife to the Georgia State game last year, and she died laughing when they got their first 1st down and that awful panther growl came over the PA. Her words were, "that sounds like the ClipArt of panther noises".

Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post

Who? Now get off my lawn!!

The chair drop will be back. Just keep up with current popular music so the players and students can get into it and make a lot of noise as far as hype music. One thing I'd like to see is our fans to keep quiet when we're on offense. Falcons do this on the video board - quiet please offense at work. Maybe athletics can work with SP on a 3rd down chant?
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"