TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A question about a QB like this running the Pistol Option at GSU

Default Re: A question about a QB like this running the Pistol Option at GSU

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Yes, if he has the tools to run the option.

You have to have a baseline of athletic ability and field awareness—not to mention toughness—to do that. Can a guy who barely has the athleticism (Jaybo, cough, Kenny Robinson, cough) make up for that shortcoming by being a great passer? Sure, as long as we have some receivers.
    -
    PETE, I agree - "You have to have a baseline of athletic ability and field awareness—not to mention toughness"

He has the field of vision for passing, but would he be able to have the same field of vision for the option? Still if you look at all our late great option QBs they were about 170lbs & a lot of bigger teams didn't thing our light weight QBs could stand up to their defense. Do any of you know his 40 times & if he had to could he run the ball 15-20 times a game? endurance and toughness as you say Pete.
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

2. Default Re: A question about a QB like this running the Pistol Option at GSU

Jaybo definitely made up for his lack of athletic ability by being a really solid passer.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Jaybo definitely made up for his lack of athletic ability by being a really solid passer.
    I think that Anthony Munoz has his passing down, but as others have said could he pick up the option portion of our offense and have the stamina to run the ball 20 times.

He doesn't really scramble, he's more of a pocket passer.

He also didn't run an option scheme and hasn't had to deal with getting hit a lot.

He's also from California, and we haven't had a ton of luck with getting players from the west coast.

In other words....there's plenty of talent here in Georgia we should be putting more focus on than some kid in California that would have to learn a completely different scheme than what he's been comfortable in, although all the luck to him on his future.

And once again, for Talon, we don't run from the gun simply because it "makes passing easier." It's just a different approach to running an option attack. Yes it does allow for some different nuances in the passing game, but you don't do it just to pass better. Please stop repeating this everywhere.

[QUOTE=eaglewraith;960395]He doesn't really scramble, he's more of a pocket passer.

He also didn't run an option scheme and hasn't had to deal with getting hit a lot.

He's also from California, and we haven't had a ton of luck with getting players from the west coast.

In other words....there's plenty of talent here in Georgia we should be putting more focus on than some kid in California that would have to learn a completely different scheme than what he's been comfortable in, although all the luck to him on his future.

And once again, for Talon, we don't run from the gun simply because it "makes passing easier." It's just a different approach to running an option attack. Yes it does allow for some different nuances in the passing game, but you don't do it just to pass better. Please stop repeating this everywhere.

EagleWrath - "you don't do it just to pass better. Please stop repeating this everywhere."
    TALON - No need to chide me for bringing in different ideas.. I'm not saying it everywhere just on this thread! Whats wrong with having the most powerfull ground attack (The Triple Option) that has the power to beat the opponent in 2 different ways?

You are correct, yet Tracy Ham used the built in Run & Shoot portion of the flex option to pummel Furman in 1985 & other games. Of course Ham was an exception to the rule for an option QB. If we could have an Option QB that was a real threat in the passing game wouldn't that keep the LBs and defensive secondary in check for the running attack which is GSUs bread and butter?

I'm not saying we turn the flex or Pistol into a passing team. It was my understanding, from early Fritz posters. that the Pistol gave the Option QB a better chance for completing more passes and better yardage after a catch. The running game and option are still our main attack and scoring scheme. Yet you know that backing up the defense with the fear of the passing game is important to keep the defense off balance. The Idea that PJ had by bringing the flex option to GSU with making the Triple Option a double threat.

I’m not sure why you’re hung up on a 5’9” QB from California. If he was good enough to help us, don’t you think Cal-Poly at the very least would have offered him?

We can find a place for a good passing QB with limited athleticism, but Jaybo’s about as far as I would want to go in that direction.
    Last edited by pete4256; 5th May 2019 at 06:37 PM.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    I’m not sure why you’re hung up on a 5’9” QB from California. If he was good enough to help us, don’t you Cal-Poly at the very least would have offered him?

We can find a place for a good passing QB with limited athleticism, but Jaybo’s about as far as I would want to go in that direction.
    I'm not really hung up on the guy. The articles I read said he was a great passing QB that could not find a FCS or G5 teams that wanted him because of his hight, as if hight was the only thing you looked for in a good QB.. Weren't all our QBs 5'10? Just a passing thought.

It's OK with me if we end this thread right now. It was just a thought!

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    I'm not really hung up on the guy. The articles I read said he was a great passing QB that could not find a FCS or G5 teams that wanted him because of his hight, as if hight was the only thing you looked for in a good QB.. Weren't all our QBs 5'10? Just a passing thought.

It's OK with me if we end this thread right now. It was just a thought!
    Your original point was valid. I’ve been thinking for a while that we should recruit a QB with more passing acumen, then teach him option skills... sacrifice a little run savvy for better passing skill. I think it is a valid point and pursuit.

But, this Munoz kid may be deceiving. You are right that he sounds like a stereotypical GS qb. He’s 5-9 160. But that’s where it ends. This kid isn’t getting recruited because he’s a short and slight pocket passer. He’s not a runner at all. A short, slight pocket passer with little speed and mobility is not good. In fact, Munoz was beat up as a Sophomore and suffered a couple concussions. If you are short and small, you need to be quick. This guy is not fast or particularly durable, but he apparently has an extremely fast accurate trigger/release. He also had two WR’s who are being recruited by D-1 schools apparently. That will make you successful.

So, though he may have the size, he’s not the type of player we’ve looked for previously. Others like Greg Hill, JR Revere, Chaz... were short and slight by numbers, but had the lower bodies of track stars. For us, the wheels matter. Munoz doesn’t have that going for him. If he were more like a smaller Taylor Heineke, then we would be in business.
    Last edited by Chris Eagle; 8th May 2019 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Eagle View Post
    Your original point was valid. I’ve been thinking for a while that we should recruit a QB with more passing acumen, then teach him option skills... sacrifice a little run savvy for better passing skill. I think it is a valid point and pursuit.
    Not saying that philosophy is wrong, but to at least play devils advocate, the downfall of doing that is that we run the option on 85-90% of our plays. So if you sacrifice 90% of your opportunities to be successful so that you can be successful on 10-15% of the plays, that is poor planning on the coaches part. Running the option correctly and at a high competitive level isn't something that is very easy to learn. We've had natural option QB's that have struggled with looking proficient in it.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    Not saying that philosophy is wrong, but to at least play devils advocate, the downfall of doing that is that we run the option on 85-90% of our plays. So if you sacrifice 90% of your opportunities to be successful so that you can be successful on 10-15% of the plays, that is poor planning on the coaches part. Running the option correctly and at a high competitive level isn't something that is very easy to learn. We've had natural option QB's that have struggled with looking proficient in it.
    I’m not arguing that point. I know that is why we look for who we do, and those particular option skill sets. Ever since the Stowers days when I was in school, I know the philosophy was “if you can run, then we can teach you the pass”. We’ve tried bringing a few dual-threat qb’s as experiments with very limited results. And I know it takes repetition for the option to work fully. I just want to see us start to move the meter some and pick up business a little. I know Tracy Ham is a legend for a reason, but I’d love to see that type of balance come back home.

My real preference is a dual threat qb, with a passing background but has experience running the option. I know “pipe dreams”...
    Last edited by Chris Eagle; 8th May 2019 at 07:41 AM.