TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kicker Univ?

Default Kicker Univ?

Forgive me if this has been discussed already but I haven’t been on the boards much lately.

It seems that we’ve either developed a knack for recruiting great kickers or developing them. Any thoughts as to why so many great kickers keep showing up in Statesboro?

Default Re: Kicker Univ?

Quote Originally Posted by gsufanatic View Post
    Forgive me if this has been discussed already but I haven’t been on the boards much lately.

It seems that we’ve either developed a knack for recruiting great kickers or developing them. Any thoughts as to why so many great kickers keep showing up in Statesboro?
    good word travels fast. When we can show continued success, it's easier to get the next one interested. I think we also put more of an emphasis on it than some others.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    good word travels fast. When we can show continued success, it's easier to get the next one interested. I think we also put more of an emphasis on it than some others.
    Agreed. And I think we're willing to offer scholarships to kickers where some bigger schools often times offer PWO's to kickers and make them earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    Agreed. And I think we're willing to offer scholarships to kickers where some bigger schools often times offer PWO's to kickers and make them earn it.
    There's a reason Auburn consistently has great kickers and it's that exact reason: They offer scholarships to the best. I love that Georgia Southern is doing the same.
    Avatar = True Blue sign, standing under the Bill Clinton statue in Pristina, Kosovo, and smoking a cigar.

-Walt Austin, Forgotten5.com

Too bad for that two-year lapse in 2012 and 2013.

With Bass's emergence, I'm having to make some hard decisions on my all-time Eagles team. If he has another season like 2018, then I'm afraid I'll have to drop a legend to put Tyler on the team.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by AUgradGSUgradstudent View Post
    There's a reason Auburn consistently has great kickers and it's that exact reason: They offer scholarships to the best. I love that Georgia Southern is doing the same.
    If im not mistaken, one of our greats (RIP) transferred from Auburn. Is that correct? I wonder if the word of mouth that we shared the philosophy allowed that to happen?

If im not mistaken, one of our greats (RIP) transferred from Auburn. Is that correct? I wonder if the word of mouth that we shared the philosophy allowed that to happen?
    For some reason, Tuberville replaced Bironas when he got hired so Bironas transferred to GS where his brother was on the soccer team, won a NC, and transferred back to Auburn to finish his bachelor's.

8. Default Re: Kicker Univ?

Not sure why Luis Martinez left the Eagles last year. He was a record setter in high school and solid gold. He is at GMC now.

As we've all learned, Martinez was gonna ride pine until 2020. Wouldn't get to kick until his fifth year on his last year of eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Too bad for that two-year lapse in 2012 and 2013.

With Bass's emergence, I'm having to make some hard decisions on my all-time Eagles team. If he has another season like 2018, then I'm afraid I'll have to drop a legend to put Tyler on the team.
    Cool was before my time and before I knew GSC ever existed. Different eras but was that still when tees were allowed on FG's? We have definitely been blessed with good kickers over the years. Lots of all conference lists. Koo made an All American list (forgot which one) and was a Groza finalist. Bass was a semi last year.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"